Friday, December 27, 2013

Naked 3 Palette from Urban Decay

 
Not that you haven't already seen a million reviews on this palette already, I thought I'd share a few thoughts...
 
 
First of all, I own Naked 1 and Naked Basics, and I have never been in love with either of them. I probably would have preferred Naked 2 to either of the ones I own, but I skipped that one because I didn't want to waste anymore money on Urban Decay. So it was quite a surprise when I found myself practically drooling over the initial images floating about the internet of the Naked 3. So I was quite happy when I got it for Christmas. I have only had it for a few days, but I am already forming strong opinions about this palette. So let's jump in! 
  
 
 First of all, the packaging is adorable. I love the way it feels in my hands. Naked 1 palette had the magnetic closure because it was easier to use the mirror, but Naked 3 feels more expensive and luxurious in the hand. This one doesn't lay flat when it's open, but I think that over time it probably will. Naked 3 comes with 12 eye shadows. Three are matte, and the rest are either glitter or shimmer.
 
 
Naked 3 comes with a double sided brush. I really like it. One end is a fluffy shader brush, it works good to deposit color on the lid or in the crease. The other side is a flat eye shadow brush, only useful for packing color on the lid. The flat brush is the same as the brush that came with Naked 1.
 
Fluffy Shader                                     Flat Shadow                              Flat Shadow(side)
______________________________________________________________________
 
I'll start with the left half of the palette. These six shadows are on the lighter side.
 
Strange - Matte off white with pink undertones. Good for under the brow.
Dust - pink champagne, chunky, powdery mess.
Burnout- Pale Pink Taupe. Very little color pay off, I really had to dig at it to get a swatch.
Limit - Matte pale pink. Very nice crease color for a natural eye look.
Buzz - Pale Pink Bronze. Gorgeous. Reminds me of Sidecar from Naked 1, but its pink.
Trick - Pink Copper, messy and flaky. Chunks of product fell all over my cheeks.
 
 
 
The first six shades of this palette are a bit of a flop. Limit and Buzz are great, but the other four are hard to work with. Strange is a bad choice for this palette, and should have been replaced with a  shade more like Virgin from Naked 1. Dust and Trick are so MESSY, which is really too bad because they are beautiful colors.
 
__________________________________________________________________________
 
Now with the right half of the palette.
 
Nooner - matte light brown with purple undertones. Very nice for the crease or subtle blending.
Liar - A rose tone shimmery taupe. It reminds me of Toasted from Naked 1, but more purple.
Factory - Bronze with pink shimmer. Very nice to use and versatile. Similar to Hustle from Naked 1.
Mugshot - Shimmery Taupe with pink shimmer. Easy to dupe, but beautiful.
Darkside - Chocolate brown, with a bit of shimmer. I love this color.
Blackheart - Matte black with large fuschia glitter.
 
 

 These six are much darker, and were far easier to swatch. I will get a lot of use out of everything on the right side, except for maybe Blackheart. The glitter is a really odd choice for a neautrals palette. Mugshot and Darkside are my favorite shades from this half.  
 
_________________________________________________________________________ 
 

Here is a swatch of all the colors all next to each other. I feel like a lot of the shades here are too similar. There was definitely more contrast in Naked 1. So I wouldn't recommend this palette for someone who has a limited stock of eye shadows already. I just think this palette would serve better as an accompaniment to other more colorful shadows.
 
 
 Other than Burnout, Dust and Trick, all of the shadows apply smoothly, are well pigmented and last for a very long time. I mentioned it above that Dust and Trick and chunky, glittery messes. and Burnout is really hard to get color pay off. I also want to mention that right of the bat, I like Naked 3 better then I like Naked 1. Naked 1 grew on me over time, so I'm hoping that I fall more in love with Naked 3 the longer I have it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment